Dharamsala and Mcleodganj: Little tibet of India
Mcleodganj is around 5 kms from Dharamsala and is headquarter of Dalai Lama. The famous Namgyal Monastery is located here. Namgyal monsatery was relocated to india after exile of Dalai lama from tibet.
Namgyal (Tibetan:རྣམ་གྱལ།, Wylie:rnam rgyal) Monastery is a Tibetan Buddhist monastery closely associated with all the Dalai Lamas since the third. Namgyal Monastery is the personal monastery of His Holiness, the 14th Dalai Lama. Its primary role is to assist with rituals involving the Dalai Lama of Tibet. Its main tantric practices reportedly include those of Kalachakra, Yamantaka,Chakrasamvara, Guhyasamaja, and Vajrakilaya.
As you move towards Mcleodganj from dharamsala, you will start getting a pinch of tibetan culture. From Monks to tibetan food to prayers flags and tibetan arts and crafts, you will find almost everything here. The place house more than 80,000 tibetan population and it’s all visible here.
Dharamsala and Mcleodganj, because of it’s rich fusion of Indian and Tibetan culture and also because of visitors from all over the world, is a delight for foodie. From thupka and shapta to italian, chinese and other flavour from the world, Mcleodganj is a place to be. Some of the recommended place to be
- Jimmy’s Italian Kitchen
- Tibet Kitchen House
- Mandala Coffee shop
Dharamsala is well connected by Land and Air. Dharamsala has it’s own airport and is connected to major cities.
THINGS TO DO:
- Trek to Triund. It’s a trekking destination from McLeodGanj, and offers magnificent vistas of the mountains and valleys.
- Visit Tsuglag Khang , the official residence of dalai lama
- Visit Norbulingka Institute
- Visit the usual tourist places like Dal lake, St John Church, Bhagsu temple etc.
- Shopping. Tibetan arts and craft items.
- Dharamsala is a base to visit Kangra valley. The valley can be termed as the valley of Gods as there are many ancient temple of regilious importance are situated here.
- Town of Palampur has a large tea gardens which grows the famous Kangra tea.
- When visting the Namgyal Monastery, be sure to get a taste of famous Tibetan tea served free.