Ladakh – The Land of Mountain Passes
Ladakh is one destination you will want to drive to. Ladakh is like no other land. It is surrounded by mountains and lies between the Kunlun mountain range in the north and the main Great Himalayas to the south. This region is extremely cold and human habitation is very much restricted.
Road to ladakh is one hell of a ride and test every driver’s skill to the maximum. From High mountain passes to slush field to the narrow cliff on the mountain. The expanse of snow capped mountains and some of the most beautiful landscape can be experienced in this journey. One of the highest motorable road Khardong La, High Altitude cold desert Nubra valley , and one of the most untouched and beautiful Pangong Lake lies in the region
The terrain is treacherous but inviting and the ride is nothing but adventurous.
There are two major routes to get to Leh which is the main hub to visit the region. Both the routes are open for only few months in the calendar year (from June/July till Oct)
This is one of the most scenic and adventurous drive, however one should be careful of High altitude sickness as the ascent is fast and steep. Total distance between Manali and Leh is around 500 kms and may take 12-14 hours. So if you are taking this route, be sure to start early morning.
Manali – Rohtang Jot – Gramphu – Kokhsar – Tandi – Keylong – Jispa – Darcha – Zingzingbar – Baralacha La – Bharatpur – Sarchu – Gata Loops – Nakee La – Lachulung La – Pang – More Plains – Tanglang La – Gya – Upshi – Karu – Leh
This is relatively easy but don’t go by words as you will pass through Zojila and few other passes. The climb through this highway is relatively easy and one get’s acclimatize by the time they reach to Leh. Total distance is around 450 kms and may take upto 10-12 hours.
Srinagar – Sonamarg – ZojiLa – Drass – Kargil – Mulbek – NamikLa – Hansinkot – FatuLa – Lamayaru – Khatse – Nurla – Saspol – Nimmu – Leh
1. One can break journey if they don’t/can’t drive for that long hours especially via Manali-Leh.
2. Stay options are available at Keylong / Jispa /Sarchu when coming to Manali. However sarchu can be avoided as nights here can be extremely cold and one can start to feel high altitude sickness.
3. Stay option via Srinagar route can be Kargil/Sonamarg
4. Service your ride before the trip
5. Take essential kits for your ride along with.
6. Only petrol bank between Manali-Leh highway can be found at Tandi
7. Follow safe mountain driving tip