Going on a Tiger Safari: Tips to enjoy your jungle ride
Tigers are huge, they’re rare and having a close encounter with them in their home turf is solely superb. No words will describe the thrill and feeling when you spot a tiger. However it’s never a easy sighting. Here’s few tips and you will enjoy your tiger safari
1. Know the Jungle:
- Every jungle has it’s own story. Hear the story from your guide. It will be attention grabbing and fun. e.g. Ranthambore was hunting ground of Maharajas of Jaipur and you’ll notice a fort in Ranthambore just for that.
- For the purpose of Tourism, jungle are divided into multiple zones.
- Understand the landscape, few jungles are mountainous and tigers can hide on top of hills, few have plains with long grass.
- Know the flora and fauna of jungle. Every jungle is distinct. Sometime you’ll notice immense distinction between numerous zones of an equivalent jungle.
- Tigers aren’t the sole habitant of jungle, there’re a lot more. Ask your guide about them. Deer and gaurs are most sighted animals but then their are species of deer also. like sambhar deer, Spotted deer etc.
- Their are many rare birds you can see in the jungle. If you are accompanies by a good naturist and safari guide, he will be able to spot them and share a few information about those birds.
2. Know your safari partners:
- Share a light moments with your safari partners. Understand who they are? How much interest they have in wildlife?
- Don’t just take your safari as picnic. You have come a long way and take this opportunity to understand the wildlife. Encourage your partners to share information and stories about their wildlife experience.
- Once you get into jungle, don’t make noise. It will spoil others experience who may be serious wildlife enthusiast.
3. Know the tigers of Jungle
- Tigers are warm blooded carnivorous animal. They like to hide into the cold areas of jungle. Hence it’s not always easy to track them down.
- Tigers normally has a life span of 14 years. Amazingly Machli hailed as Queen of tiger in Ranthambore has survived for 18 years. However she lost her teeth and canine, so it’s hard for her to do any hunting.
- Best chances of tiger sighting are in the morning hours and late in evening when temperatures are cooler and they come out of their hide to drink water or hunt for their food. Best chances of sighting tigers are near water bodies.
- Tigers have a distinct territorial behaviour. A tigress can have territory up to 20 sq. Kms whereas a tiger can have much larger territory up to 100 sq. kms. They can even fight each other for their territory. A tiger can even kill their children for that. Read the story of Sita and Charger of Bandhavgarh tigers. Ask your guide more about their behaviour.
- Every tiger has a name. And then their are famous one from each of the jungle.
One of the best way to enjoy your tiger safari is prepare yourself by going through internet articles and wiki for some information about the park you are visiting. This will help you to strike a chord with other visitors on your Gypsy or Canter. It will also help you being considered a serious wildlife person and guide will go an extra mile to tell you about the jungle.